Follow Me on Pinterest Instagram
Powered by Blogger.

Monday, August 19, 2013

Go-to: Cookie Cutter Sugar Cookies

Before the new year, I posted in my opinion, the best chocolate sugar cookie recipe.  It is my go-to for chocolate dough, and while I love how the colors pop off the darker base, sometimes I also crave the classic sugar dough taste.  I have been working on getting this recipe just right, since it's such a staple for my decorating, and I think I finally got it!  Easy to roll out, cut easily, hold their shape...everything you want from a cookie you're going to decorate.

Go-to Cookie Cutter Sugar Cookies
Recipe a Jesicakes Original
Makes about 2 dozen 4" cookies
Print Recipe
Ingredients
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder (gluten free)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 2/3 cup tapioca flour
- 1/3 cup white rice flour
- 3/4 tsp xanthan gum

Whisk together all of the flours, xanthan gum, salt, and baking powder.  Set aside.

The butter should be slightly below room temperature, still cool but not too soft.  If it is took soft and beaten too much the cookies can spread or lose their shape.

Beat the butter and sugar together in a stand mixer until they just come together.

Add the egg and the vanilla.  Beat until just incorporated.  Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat a few extra rotations.

Begin to slowly add the flour mixture with the mixer on low.  Mix on low until it begins to come together and all the flour is incorporated.

The dough will come together but be slightly sticky.  Wrap it in plastic wrap and chill for a half hour or longer.  If you really want to you can roll it out right away, just make sure that it's chilled through before attempting to cut cookies.

Trouble shooting tip: If it is overly sticky and soft you may have either beaten it too long are used butter that was too soft.  If this is the case don't abandon it just yet!  It may still be workable.  Wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate a few hours or overnight.  You should be able to roll it out  more easily once it has chilled through.

Once the dough has chilled, split into sections and roll out.  I roll out between two pieces of plastic wrap.  I roll all my dough out at once, placing each in the fridge when finished.  This way when I'm done the first one I rolled is chilled enough again to begin cutting.  This dough is extremely forgiving, you can reroll it as many times as needed.  I roll my cookies to 3/8".

Make sure to chill your cookies before baking!  They should be completely sturdy when picked up.  I chill my cookies at least 15 minutes in the fridge from cutting to baking.

Bake at 350 F˚ for about 8-10 minutes or until slightly golden on the edges of the cookie. Allow to fully cool until decorating.

Also great cookies to just add some course sugar before baking like with the chocolate sugar dough.

Decorate with royal icing for the perfect gluten free sugar cookie!  Check out some of my decorating tutorials or my decorating portfolio if you need ideas or inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment