Follow Me on Pinterest Instagram
Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Anything Imaginable Oatmeal Loaf


When I first went gluten free the biggest thing I had a problem eliminating was snacks and meal replacement bars.  I think my lunch every single day of my last two years of college was an apple with cheese, greek yoghurt, and then two hours later to hold me over until dinner a Luna Bar or a Special K Bar.  Those were my dinner half the time if I was working or just had a deadline on a painting so couldn't eat at home.  And while I like Larabars now they're not that same satisfaction of a granola bar.  So the very first gluten free thing I made was a take on an Oatmeal Loaf I found over at Flour Child.  The wonderful thing about this recipe is that there is a up to 1 1/2 cups of add ins part of the recipe that can be anything you want.  I was making a new loaf pretty much every week coming up with new combinations (some not as successful as others).  You can make it as healthy or decadent as you'd like...wherever the mood takes you!  I love making a healthy version with fruit and veggies and nuts that a perfect quick energy boost before a yoga class.  But I also love a good chocolate chip version when I have a sweet tooth.  Also, this is so easy in terms of preparation.  Absolutely no mixer required and I can whip this baby out in under 15 minutes (+ baking time).  Here's the kinds I've made:
  • Carrot, Sweet Potato, Walnut
  • Carrot, Zucchini, Walnut
  • Apple, Carrot, Raisin, Walnut
  • Apple, Cranberry, Carrot, Walnut (probably my favorite on the not as sweet/healthier side)
  • Cocoa, Walnut, Banana (not as good as it sounds...)
and finally...the best (slightly sinful) versions:

Banana, Chocolate Chip, Coconut and Walnut Oatmeal Loaf
Recipe adapted from Flour Child
Made Gluten Free by Jesicakes
Makes 1 8'' x 4'' loaf pan
Ingredients
- 1 1/4 cups brown rice flour*
- 1 1/4 cups rolled oats
- 1 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon (+ with this recipe I add an extra 1 tsp as well) 
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar (or white)
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup almond milk (original recipe uses buttermilk)
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp canola oil (I've found this optional...for this loaf especially I don't think it's needed.  For the apple, cranberry, carrot, walnut though it could use a little moisture)
- 1 1/2 cups of add ins: 2 very ripened bananas, 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, 1/4 cup shredded coconut, 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips.  Be careful about adding TOO much wet ingredients.  If you do, compensate with a few extra tbsp of brown rice flour.

*With this batch, I tried doing a mix of different flours, but I definitely prefer it with just the brown rice.  I like the coarser texture with the oats...I feel like the finer texture of the tapioca and sweet rice flour are fighting the oat texture too much.  If you'd like to try though, I did 1/3 cup sweet rice flour, 1/3 cup tapioca flour, 1/3 cut brown rice flour, and 1/4 cup oat flour.


- Preheat your oven to 350˚F and grease a 8'' X 4'' pan
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and any other dry add ins such as the walnuts, coconut, and chocolate chips.
- In another bowl, combine the applesauce, almond milk, sugar, oil (if using), and egg.  Stir in any wet add ins such as the banana.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the wet, mixing well to combine.  I warn you, this is not the most attractive batter between the applesauce and the oats...but I promise it will taste a lot better than it looks at this point!
- Pour into your greased loaf pan and bake 45-55 minutes.  Depending on how much wet ingredients you add you may need more time.  This one in particular pushes 55 minutes.  When a toothpick comes out clean you know it's done.  
- Cool on a rack and enjoy!
So I know I've been getting a little cabin fever waiting for this hurricane to come already.  So while you're stuck inside get imaginative!  Make something crazy with this recipe and have fun with it!

1 comment:

  1. The bakeshop near my place sells gluten free products like that oatmeal loaf. Its really affordable and I always see to it that I buy one every week. Can you provide the recipe of your oatmeal loaf that has apple, cranberry, carrot, walnut?

    ReplyDelete